Interiors // Neutral Nurseries

March 27, 2013

 Jamie Meares via Lonny magazine

Since Eric and I have our 20 week sonogram today (!!!!), it seemed appropriate to talk baby. In case you missed that, we are actually going to see our little nugget in there!! So amazing. I have been waiting for this day for ages. Things are definitely starting to get real around here. My belly is expanding enough that my current pants are just a wee too tight (for all of you other preggers ladies out there, Joe's maternity jeans are a dream), there's always something new happening with my body, we're looking at day care options and, frankly, I'm starting to freak out. Who decided that I should be responsible for a life?!

We've opted not to find out whether we have a Mini Me or Mini E on the way (I know. We're crazy like that.) which means nursery decor will need to remain pretty neutral. I'm not ready to divulge details just yet -- mostly because the room is still acting as a catchall -- but there are a few standout spaces that are seriously inspiring me lately.

Estee Stanley via Lonny magazine

I love the idea of staying pretty light and bright. Pure white may be out of the question as the room just doesn't get that kind of natural light and I don't want it feeling dingy, but I have some colorways in mind.


Erin killed it in her little man's room. Kid friendly but keeps true to the rest of her amazing home's eclectic, vintage inspired style.

Laura Garcia via Lonny magazine

Per usual, part of me still leans in the exact opposite direction. Dark and moody.



Think dark vs light has any effect on a little one's psyche?

* Also, unless you guys tell me differently in the comments, yesterday was my one and only recipe post. Since I usually gauge post popularity by comments and other social media reactions, doesn't seem like that went over too well. Which is totally fine. I'm no food blogger. But speak now or forever hold your peace...

21 comments:

Tiffany @ Savor Home said...

Neutrals nurseries are my favorite because they are so calming. I am so in love with Erin's nursery. I bookmarked when she posted it and pray that I remember it whenever Mr. Right comes along and I have kiddos.

And I LOVE good recipes and yesterday's post was great. So my vote is to keep them coming!

Elisa of Fancy Free Me said...

Neutral nurseries work so well for either sex- way better than the yellow/green everyone seems to migrate to! I'm in awe of your strength to wait. I couldn't do it...i think its really cool. :)

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Happy picture day!! :)

Reagan Geschardt said...

First off... Congratulations!!!! Such a pencil and happy time! I think all the above pics are just FAB so I can't help you. Perhaps though after the baby is born u want to add a bright abstract to the room....then I can help you out! :)

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

these are all my very favesies nurseries. not literal. and that one Erin at DC did was whewwww.good. i love that you said mini me or mini e. HOW CUTE!?!? i am DYING and i mean DYING to do a nursery. we're doing a girls and boys room now, but still... i want a baby room to do. seems so glorious. sigh.. :)

enjoy my friend... i bet you look glowy!

Jennifer @ Belclaire House said...

YEAH!!! What a fun day! We go tomorrow. I'm going to check out those jeans. I went to Pea in the Pod and bought some white skinny jeans (Pea in the Pod brand) that aren't bad, but I can't wear them when there's snow outside!! Love your nursery inspiration! Those are some of my favorite.

Erin said...

Wow, I am super flattered to be included among these greats!

Actually, I want to redo everything to match the scalamandre zebra room. Can't go wrong there.

Congrats and good luck with the sonogram!!!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh I am in love with that starry ceiling!! and that overhead light fixture in the second to last image! what lucky babes get to live in these places?? jealous!

<3becky
www.loosefromthezoo.com

Unknown said...

These are all so beautiful, it's nice to have a nursery that is also stylish!
www.FripperyVintage.com

Leah said...

love the inspiration pics today! i always love a good vegetarian recipe, so if you feel it, post it!

Chelsea said...

Ok, I liked yesterday's post. My cooking post didn't seem popular either. Maybe we should just trade recipes?
Love these rooms. I have baby fever so bad and just can't wait. In the mean time, I will be pinning all of these. xo

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

Exciting day for you guys!!! Love all these fab nurseries and can't wait to see what you guys end up doing for your little one!

I second Joe's maternity jeans...just got a pair last week and they really are awesome.

Erin | Holtwood Hipster said...

Neutral nursery (lots of great inspiration out there!) and waiting to learn the baby's gender will be our plan as well. i like the idea of that surprise at the end of 9 months. Undoubtedly, you (and I) would be happy to have either boy or girl join the family. Congrats to you Tobe!

Meghan said...

I missed that happy news somehow! Congrraaaats!!! I love the dark moody one the best....seems coziest somehow :)

Camila@effortless-style said...

Oh I was loving all of the neutrals and then I saw the dark and moody and fell in love with that.

I don't think you could go wrong either way.

I went neutral on Hudson's walls but then bold everywhere else. He loves it and so do I.

Kati from so happy home said...

I'm not a mom (nor will I be) but I enjoy a good room regardless of the end-user's age.

BUT, regarding your food posts, do more if you feel like it! We don't all always line up and like the same foods, so don't let a small response to your veggie chili recipe make you stop. It made me hungry. Just like those rooms made me sleepy, but in a good way. Like, ah, I'm so relaxed, and this is all so soothing and elegant I think I'll take a nap. Hope I don't drool.

Unknown said...

Your pics are some of the exact same ones that I've saved myself for future reference!! (Don't get excited, no news here, but one can dream) Erin's amazing, so ridiculous inspiring and it's definitely a favourite but goodness, the others are jaw-dropping. I love the idea of going dark but I probably am not the best one to ask considering my childlessness and all :) I'm sure you'll make it amazing and yay for scan day!! xxx

Anonymous said...

I heart the top one with the stars on the ceiling.

Becca - Rebecca Atwood Designs said...

I love these images you've pulled for inspiration! I am sure whatever you do will be amazing.

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

How did the appointment go?? Love ALL these rooms for inspiration, and I can't wait to see what you do ;)
Oh and regarding the recipe post, keep them coming if you enjoy doing them!

Unknown said...

Ugh, I totally know what you mean about the recipe posts... Every time I share food I've made on instagram/twitter, people beg for the how-to and then when I put them on S&P, I feel like they kind of fall flat. If it makes you feel any better, I totally enjoyed reading about your cheeeliiiiii! :) XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© Because It's Awesome All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger